Hoverboard Safety Concerns Parents Must Know.
Tipped to be one of the most desired holiday gifts this year is the hoverboard.Parents need to be aware of the many risks purchasing a hoverboard and to understand that this activity could be seriously unsafe with fire and injury risks at stake.
In yesterday’s news a Louisiana woman said her son’s hoverboard caught fire while charging and destroyed their home. TRADING Standards officers are warning Christmas shoppers to be cautious before buying a hoverboard. The item, also known as a balance board, is selling fast in the run-up to Christmas, but there have been several reports that poor quality versions are a fire hazard. Hoverboard cheap deals have been linked to poor quality products being imported from overseas. The hoverboard in the Louisiana fire was purchased from “Fit Turbo” on Amazon.com, according to the report.
In addition, the Consumer Product Safety Commission says it has received several reports of people showing up in an emergency room seeking treatment for injuries associated with the hoverboards. All of the injuries were related to falls. Head injuries are proving to be prominent. This is due to when kids lose their balance they tend to fall back and hit their heads. Helmets are a must. Earlier this month, a 14-year-old boy in Beatrice died after falling off a hoverboard in his home. Parent’s seriously need to consider avoiding hoverboarding all together.
Many cities, including New York city has banned the use of hoverboards on the streets and further bans are expected, unfortunately as statistics of injuries from holiday purchases inevitably will increase the rate of injury to this activity.
If you or a loved one has been injured using a hoverboard please contact (203) 332-7700 for a free case evaluation.